About: http://data.cimple.eu/news-article/9eecde9d339a017ba65286b8eee576d55a4bae8a5d7585b314c64946     Goto   Sponge   NotDistinct   Permalink

An Entity of Type : schema:NewsArticle, within Data Space : data.cimple.eu associated with source document(s)

AttributesValues
rdf:type
schema:articleBody
  • Two suspects in an alleged plot to destabilise Jordan will face trial in the kingdom's State Security Court, state media reported Wednesday. Both the accused have close ties to neighbouring Saudi Arabi; former royal court chief Bassem Awadallah, who also holds Saudi nationality, and former special envoy to Saudi Arabia, Sharif Hassan bin Zaid. "The investigation was completed and the file has been sent to the Attorney General," an official source said, quoted by the official Petra news agency. Prosecutors must now draw up charges and set a date for the trial, according to Jordanian legal procedure. "The file will be referred to the Public Prosecutor at the State Security Court to carry out the legal requirement of issuing an indictment," after which "trial sessions" will begin, Professor of Constitutional Law, Laith Nasrawin, told state television. The charges "will not deviate from the crimes of undermining the political regime, as defined by Article 49 of the Penal Code, and... acts that disturb public order and threaten societal security, which is considered a crime of terrorism," he added. Awadallah is considered by several Jordanian media outlets to be close to Saudi Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman. Eighteen suspects were arrested after authorities on April 3 announced they had foiled a bid to destabilise the kingdom, but 16 were released later that month. Regional powerhouse Saudi Arabia has fervently denied any involvement in the alleged plot. After the news first broke, it quickly expressed "its full support" for Jordan "and for the decisions and measures taken by King Abdullah II and Crown Prince Hussein to safeguard security and stability". When news of the alleged plot broke, Abdullah's half-brother Prince Hamzah was suspected of involvement. The government accused the former crown prince, who was sidelined as heir to the throne in 2014, of involvement in a conspiracy to "destabilise the kingdom's security". Hamzah accused Jordan's rulers of corruption and ineptitude in a video message published by the BBC on April 3, a day when he also claimed he had been put under house arrest. But authorities said later he would not stand trial, as his case had been resolved within the royal family. kt/sk/all/pjm/dwo
schema:headline
  • Jordan to try 2 plot suspects, both close to Saudi: media
schema:mentions
schema:author
schema:datePublished
http://data.cimple...sPoliticalLeaning
http://data.cimple...logy#hasSentiment
http://data.cimple...readability_score
http://data.cimple...tology#hasEmotion
Faceted Search & Find service v1.16.115 as of Oct 09 2023


Alternative Linked Data Documents: ODE     Content Formats:   [cxml] [csv]     RDF   [text] [turtle] [ld+json] [rdf+json] [rdf+xml]     ODATA   [atom+xml] [odata+json]     Microdata   [microdata+json] [html]    About   
This material is Open Knowledge   W3C Semantic Web Technology [RDF Data] Valid XHTML + RDFa
OpenLink Virtuoso version 07.20.3238 as of Jul 16 2024, on Linux (x86_64-pc-linux-musl), Single-Server Edition (126 GB total memory, 11 GB memory in use)
Data on this page belongs to its respective rights holders.
Virtuoso Faceted Browser Copyright © 2009-2025 OpenLink Software