schema:articleBody
| - The United States is pressing Cyprus to lift its veto on proposed EU sanctions over Belarus to allow a "coherent" response to the crisis there, a senior official said Tuesday. The EU has a list of around 40 people it wants to sanction for their role in rigging the August 9 Belarus presidential election and the crackdown on protests against strongman President Alexander Lukashenko that followed it. But EU measures need unanimous approval from all 27 member countries and Nicosia has refused to give its vote, insisting that the EU must extend sanctions over Turkish gas drilling operations in its waters at the same time. The Cypriot stance has drawn criticism from some EU countries which say it amounts to protecting Lukashenko, and the delay has upset plans for coordinated Western action. George Kent, the US deputy assistant secretary of state for European affairs, said Washington had been in contact with Cyprus to urge a change of heart. "We encouraged them to join consensus to allow the EU to move forward, so that there could be this coherent common approach between likeminded countries," Kent said, during a visit to Brussels. A meeting of EU foreign ministers on Monday failed to clear the deadlock and the matter will now go to heads of state and government when they meet for a summit in Brussels next week. Washington is ready with sanctions but had hoped to coordinate with the EU. "The initial plan had been to try to announce something in parallel this week. We're waiting to see clarity from European leaders whether they can make a decision," Kent said. Kent was in Brussels to meet EU officials and diplomats to discuss the crisis in Belarus, which has seen unprecedented mass street protests calling for Lukashenko, often dubbed "Europe's last dictator", to quit. Unlike the EU -- which lifted most of its sanctions against Belarus in 2016, including those targeting Lukashenko, citing improvements in its rights record -- the US kept some measures in place. pdw/dc/dl
|