schema:articleBody
| - Here are the latest developments in the coronavirus crisis: US President Donald Trump denies lying to Americans about the severity of the coronavirus after a new book by journalist Bob Woodward revealed that he deliberately downplayed the crisis. The Republican, who is down in the polls against Democrat Joe Biden and faces overwhelming disapproval from Americans on his handling of the coronavirus crisis, insists "I didn't lie" and says he had softened the dangers in public so as to preserve calm. The pandemic has killed at least 910,300 people worldwide since surfacing in China late last year, according to an AFP count at 1100 GMT on Friday based on official sources. More than 28.2 million cases have been confirmed. The United States has the most deaths with 191,802, followed by Brazil with 129,522, India with 76,271, Mexico with 69,649 and Britain 41,608. German truck and bus manufacturer MAN says it will cut up to one in four of its employees, or 9,500, plotting an "extensive restructuring" faced with Covid-19's impact on customer demand and supply chains. And a $2-billion-plus deal for a South Korean property developer to take over loss-making Asiana Airlines collapses in the wake of the pandemic, which has wreaked havoc on the airline industry. US Senate Democrats block a pared-down coronavirus relief package, calling it "beyond insufficient" to help millions of suffering Americans and raising the prospect that no new aid will be approved until after November's presidential election. The measure is a dramatic reduction from the $3 trillion bill that the Democratic-led House of Representatives passed in May but was never taken up by the Senate, coming in at roughly $500 billion. North Korean authorities have issued shoot-to-kill orders to prevent the coronavirus entering the country from China, according to the commander of US forces in the South. The impoverished North has not confirmed a single case of the disease that has swept the world since first emerging in China, the North's key ally, with which it closed its border in January. Australia is picked over New Zealand to host the coronavirus-affected Rugby Championship, a four-nation international tournament which was originally scheduled to begin in August. South Africa's participation in the November 7-December 12 event is in doubt as it continues to battle coronavirus, with all sporting competition there currently suspended. Argentina is the fourth nation taking part. burs-jmy/tgb
|