About: http://data.cimple.eu/news-article/12de5b5052caefb31bde564caa776974f15f5dd851c7ff581c6e50bc     Goto   Sponge   NotDistinct   Permalink

An Entity of Type : schema:NewsArticle, within Data Space : data.cimple.eu associated with source document(s)

AttributesValues
rdf:type
schema:articleBody
  • Ten losing candidates in Guinea's election on Friday rejected the official result which declared President Alpha Conde the winner, as the main opposition leader said protests would resume next week. "Given the serious irregularities recorded before, during and after the vote, the participants decided to categorically reject the provisional results," losing candidate Makale Traore said at a news conference, referring to the group of 10. She pointed specifically to "substitutions, falsifications and inexplicable disappearances" of polling-station-level tallies. Alpha Conde, 82, won a hotly contested October 18 election, according to official results announced last week, setting the stage for a controversial third term in office. But Guinea's main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, 68, had already claimed victory, citing data his activists gathered at individual polling stations. The move triggered lethal clashes between opposition supporters and security forces across the West African nation of 13 million people. Regional leaders also sent envoys to mediate between Conde and Diallo. Twenty-one people died in the post-election violence, the government said. Diallo, who was at the conference, told reporters on Friday that "more than 30" people had died. He added that protests against Conde would resume on Tuesday, after he had filed an appeal against the election results to constitutional court, which still has to sign off on the official tally. "We will resume peaceful demonstrations in the streets and public squares to denounce the ongoing electoral hold-up and demand recognition of our victory," he said. Traore told reporters that each member of the group of 10 losing candidates would file appeals . Twelve candidates in total contested the election, including Conde and Diallo. Only losing candidate, Laye Souleymane Diallo, has recognised the results, said Aliou Conde, the secretary general of Cellou Dalein Diallo's UFDG party. The European Union, United States and the former colonial power France all released statements this week expressing concern about the vote-counting process. Much of the turbulence in Guinea centres on a third term for Alpha Conde, whom opponents accuse of drifting into authoritarianism. He pushed through a new constitution in March which he argued would modernise the country. But it also allowed him to bypass a two-term limit for presidents. cv-eml/ri
schema:headline
  • Losing candidates in Guinea reject vote result, demos to resume
schema:mentions
schema:author
schema:datePublished
http://data.cimple...sPoliticalLeaning
http://data.cimple...logy#hasSentiment
http://data.cimple...readability_score
http://data.cimple...tology#hasEmotion
Faceted Search & Find service v1.16.123 as of May 22 2025


Alternative Linked Data Documents: ODE     Content Formats:   [cxml] [csv]     RDF   [text] [turtle] [ld+json] [rdf+json] [rdf+xml]     ODATA   [atom+xml] [odata+json]     Microdata   [microdata+json] [html]    About   
This material is Open Knowledge   W3C Semantic Web Technology [RDF Data]
OpenLink Virtuoso version 07.20.3241 as of May 22 2025, on Linux (x86_64-pc-linux-musl), Single-Server Edition (126 GB total memory, 8 GB memory in use)
Data on this page belongs to its respective rights holders.
Virtuoso Faceted Browser Copyright © 2009-2026 OpenLink Software